Robert L. Gegios
Chair, Litigation Department
- Antitrust, Unfair Competition & Trade Regulation
- Appellate Practice
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Bankruptcy Representation
- Business & Corporate
- Data Privacy & Security
- E-Discovery & Compliance
- Employment Law for Businesses
- Employment Disputes & Non-Competes
- Insurance Coverage & Risk Management
- Intellectual Property, Trademarks, Brands & Advertising
- International Dispute Resolution
- Professional Liability
Bob Gegios has more than 30 years of experience representing public and private companies and individuals in a wide range of legal matters, including general business and commercial litigation and counseling, antitrust and trade regulation, dealership and franchise law, securities, intellectual property, RICO, employment disputes, insurance coverage, and international controversies. His domestic and international clients have spanned a wide range of industries and occupations, and he has represented their interests in disputes across the United States as well as in foreign settings.
His many accomplishments include:
- Winning a jury verdict this year defeating a $17 million claim in prominent business case.
- Representing Wisconsin businesses in obtaining multiple eight-figure recoveries on their claims of collusive manipulation of natural gas prices.
- Succeeding in obtaining the Wisconsin Supreme Court’s extraordinary exercise of supervisory powers in order to protect his client’s constitutional rights to litigate its complex business case before an elected judge, rather than an appointed referee.
- Successfully representing prominent Wisconsin businesses in a 2015 United States Supreme Court antitrust case involving hundreds of millions of dollars in controversy.
- Winning one of the largest jury verdicts in a business case in the State of Wisconsin in recent years.
- Acting as one of the principal counsel in obtaining a major eight-figure recovery (exceeding the clients’ aggregate investments) in a nationally-prominent securities dispute.
- Winning hard-fought dismissals of numerous multi-million dollar class and individual actions brought against both public and private companies.
- Making important new law protecting businesses when they seek insurance protection for legal actions against them.
- Negotiating hundreds of successful resolutions of business disputes and government investigations.
- Successfully handling multi-jurisdictional and international litigation, arbitration and mediation matters for both domestic and foreign clients.
- Handling a wide range of antitrust and trade regulation compliance programs for regional, national and international businesses.
Bob has been selected for leadership positions in many professional organizations, including the American Bar Association, the Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, and the American Inns of Court. He is the past President of the Thomas E. Fairchild Inn of Court and of the Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association.
He has been named the 2016 and 2018 “Lawyer of the Year” in Antitrust Law for Milwaukee by Best Lawyers® and has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of commercial litigation, antitrust litigation and antitrust law. He also has been recognized for many years as a Super Lawyer® and a Leading Lawyer® in business litigation, honored as one of Milwaukee’s Highest-Ranked Attorneys®, and chosen as a 2017 Leader in the Law by the Wisconsin Law Journal.
- State of Wisconsin
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- Numerous pro hac vice admissions in other state and federal courts
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D.
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award
- Claremont McKenna College; Marquette University, B.A.
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: Outstanding Senior in Economics
- Honors: Distinguished Scholar
- Wisconsin Court of Appeals
- President, Thomas E. Fairchild American Inn of Court, 2009 – 2013
- President, Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association, 2007 – 2008
- Wisconsin Co-Chair, Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, 2007 – 2013
- Chair, American Bar Association, Section of Business Law Antitrust and Trade Litigation Subcommittee, 2003 – 2006
- Chair, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law Civil RICO Subcommittee, 1993 – 1997
- Vice-Chair, American Bar Association, Section of Business Law Class & Derivative Actions Subcommittee, 1997 – 2003
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association, Section of Business Law Programs Subcommittee, 2007 – 2012
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law Programs Committee, 1999 – 2001
- Vice-Chair, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law Programs Committee, 1997 – 1999
- Executive Committee Member, International Dispute Resolution Practice Group, Primerus International Society of Law Firms, 2011
- Executive Committee Member, International Transactional Services Practice Group, Primerus International Society of Law Firms, 2010 – 2011
- Co-Chair, Milwaukee Bar Association, International Law Section, 2004 – 2006
- Editor-in-Chief, American Bar Association, Private Antitrust Litigation News, 1996 – 1997
- Member, National Board of Advisors, RICO Law Reporter, 1997 – Present
- Chair and Speaker, Numerous Regional, National and International Legal Seminars, Programs and Symposia on Federal and State Practice and Procedure, Electronic Discovery, Antitrust, Securities, RICO, Class Actions, Insurance, Damages and International Practice and Dispute Resolution
- Commissioner, Village of Whitefish Bay, WI, Plan Commission, 1995 – 2007
- Attorney Coach, Whitefish Bay High School Mock Trial Team (2011-14); State Tournament Semifinalist (2012)
Representative Published Works:
- “The Legal Domino Effect: COVID-19 & Contracts,” Wisconsin Lawyer, May 2020.
- “Sweeping Changes to Rules of Civil Procedure,” Wisconsin Lawyer, June 2018.
- “Electronic Discovery Law,” Ch. 7, Wisconsin Discovery Law and Practice, 4th Ed., Pinnacle Books, State Bar of Wisconsin, 2011-present.
- “Mitigation of Damages,” Ch. 30, The Law of Damages in Wisconsin, Vol. III; 5th Ed., Pinnacle Books, State Bar of Wisconsin, 1989 – present.
- “Introduction to Discovery” and “Scope of Discovery,” Chs. 1 and 2, Wisconsin Discovery Law and Practice, 4th Ed., Pinnacle Books, State Bar of Wisconsin, 1989 – present.
- “The Ability to Bridge Cultural Differences: A Prerequisite for Good Counsel in International Transactions,” Comparative Law Yearbook of International Business, Vol. 32, Kluwer Law International (2010).
- “Judicial Supervision and Enforcement,” Ch. 9, Wisconsin Discovery Law and Practice State Bar of Wisconsin, 1989 – 2010.
- “Cross-Cultural Differences: A Crucial Consideration in Transnational Business and Dispute Resolution,” presented at the 2008 ABA Global Business Law Conference, Frankfurt, Germany, in association with the program: “When Different Cultures Meet: Mastering Cross-Cultural Considerations in Business and Litigation.”
- “A Muddle Within A Mess,” presented at the 2008 ABA Section of Business Law Spring Meeting, Dallas, Texas, in association with the program: “Raising the Pleadings Bar—How Much Has The Supreme Court Changed The Landscape For Business Litigation?”
- “Why the Ability to Bridge Cultural Differences is Essential for Counselors to Transnational Businesses,” presented at the 2007 ABA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, in association with the program: “When Different Cultures Meet: Mastering Cross-Cultural Considerations in Business and Litigation.”
- “Cross-Cultural Understanding: An Essential Skill in International Advocacy,” International Arbitration and Mediation—From the Professional’s Perspective, Yorkhill Law Publishing (2007).
- “Electronic Discovery and the Amended Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” Wisconsin Lawyer, December 2006.
- “Punitive Damages: How Much is Too Much?,” Wisconsin Lawyer, February 2004.
- “Private Antitrust Litigation News,” American Bar Association, 1993-1997.
- “The Amended Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” Wisconsin Lawyer, May 1994.
- “Interference with Contractual Relations Under the Laws of Wisconsin,” State Tort Law Survey, American Bar Association, 1992.
- “RICO & WOCCA,” Wisconsin Lawyer, April 1990.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Thomas E. Fairchild Inn of Court (Master)
- Fellows of the American Bar Foundation (Life Fellow)
- Wisconsin Law Foundation (Fellow)
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association (Sections of Litigation, Business Law, Antitrust Law, Intellectual Property and International Law)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Serjeants’ Inn
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms
Other Professional Recognitions:
- Chosen as a 2017 Leader in the Law by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Named by Best Lawyers® as the 2016 and 2018 Antitrust Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Milwaukee
- Consistently selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in three practice areas
- Designated a Wisconsin Super Lawyer® since the award’s inception
- Recognized as one of Milwaukee’s Leading Lawyers® and Highest-Ranked Attorneys®
- Received Martindale Hubbell’s Highest Legal Rating, “AV”