Christopher C. Kailas
Christopher Kailas heads the practice area that enforces contracts and the recovery and liquidation of commercial debt and assets, where the debtor is located throughout the USA and the world. Christopher is an accomplished problem solver with an ability to rapidly and accurately assess business situations based upon an understanding of both the legal position and the business imperatives of the clients represented. He applies this ability to the successful litigation and negotiation of satisfactory settlements for clients on a daily basis throughout North America and overseas.
Mr. Kailas has developed an impressive record of adding value to claims by securing additional guarantees and security and recovery of costs, attorneys’ fees and interest. While money in hand is more valuable than a promise, in certain circumstances, with sufficient business and legal experience, a structured settlement backed by additional protection can yield significantly more while avoiding the delay and expense of legal action and trial. He has developed a particular ability to use venue selection techniques to deter counterclaims. If litigation becomes necessary, Christopher uses acknowledgements of debt secured during negotiation to increase the potential for default or summary judgments, and so curtail litigation. Trials may take up to two years to produce a final resolution: summary judgment typically takes about 90 days. His expertise and ability to work with selective local co-counsel, when necessary, result in faster and cost-effective results.
In addition to acting as lead negotiator, Christopher established and manages a network of over 200 selected co-counsel located throughout North America and beyond. Christopher is responsible for the rigorous KMKSC co-counsel vetting and selection process. In addition, he retains oversight of any issue relative to co-counsel management and direction. As a former litigator, he ensures that client objectives and parameters are clearly understood and implemented, and that local counsel benefit from his sharing his knowledge as an experienced litigator with co-counsel. Effective management of local co-counsel provides seamless client representation and cost containment.
Christopher and his team have collected many millions of dollars for clients while delivering effective and cost-efficient recovery in the most complex of commercial debt liquidation and litigation.
Christopher works with clients to develop or review their contractual and commercial documentation to improve their delinquent accounts recovery ratios. In conjunction with KMKSC’s transactional lawyers, he can review all aspects of a company’s credit and general contracting documents and procedures to improve compliance and reduce the risk of disputes. Typical goals include structured incentives, credit control practices, improving the language of arbitration, interest, choice of venue and other potentially critical clauses in contract and commercial documentation.
- Marquette University, J.D., 1985
- Lawrence University, B.A., cum laude, 1982
- Omicron Delta Epsilon Economics Honor Fraternity
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- AV rated by Martindale Hubble
- Head of KMKSC International Debt and Asset Recovery Practice Group
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Commercial Law League of America
- Mr. Kailas regularly speaks to varied audiences on the intricacies and implications of asset and debt recovery, nationally and internationally, under titles such as “Commercial Collections throughout the World.”
- “Collecting Commercial Debt In The US Need Not Be Daunting,” News from the Credit Services Association, April 2008 (Great Britain).
- “What is Liquidation of Commercial Debt,” Primerus Commercial Law Group National Business Webinar Series.
- Member, Operations Board of F. C. Milwaukee (youth soccer club)
- Member, West Bend Country Club
- Former Member, Village of Thiensville Planning Commission
- Former Member, Village of Theinsville Historic Preservation Commission
- Co-author of the Theinsville Property Maintenance Code