Professional liability matters frequently involve large sums of money and often threaten the professional reputation of both the businesses and individuals involved. Litigation in such cases commonly involves radically different versions of the same events. Successful representation (of a plaintiff or a defendant) requires the ability to grasp the commercial and regulatory context of any incident giving rise to the controversy and presenting it effectively at every stage of the process.
KMK’s Business Litigation attorneys advise clients on legal and professional standards and help them investigate and evaluate appropriate responses when allegations of violations arise. We also advise clients on addressing the culpability of other actors in the matter and both their monetary and non-monetary risks.
We work to avoid the stress and financial drain that can be associated with lengthy professional liability claims and defenses. Where appropriate, we encourage resolution by arbitration or mediation to avoid protracted litigation for both sides, drawing upon our experience in commercial arbitration and mediation proceedings. When litigation cannot be avoided, experienced KMK litigators promote and represent our clients’ interests to the fullest.
Our professional liability experience includes:
- Lawyers’ legal and ethical malpractice;
- Directors’ and officers’ compliance;
- Business consultants’ obligations relating to financial advice and strategic planning;
- Insurance agent and broker errors and omissions litigation;
- Securities brokers and investment advisors’ legal and professional duties;
- Business broker and investment adviser compliance with regulatory standards;
- Real estate agents and brokers’ errors and omissions, licensing, and disciplinary issues; and
- RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) violations brought against attorneys, accountants, insurance professionals, and corporate officers and directors.
Practice Area Expert
Robert L. Gegios – Department Chair